Turtle Dance Community Guidelines and Agreements
FLYING TURTLE DANCE AGREEMENTS & GUIDELINES
We are a free-form, family-friendly dance space.
Listen to your body, move to your felt truth.
Offer respect and care to yourself and others.
Let "Yes" represent a genuine desire & "No" be an
expression of honesty & kindness.
- To interact consensually at all times.
- To discern the quality of connection needed for conscious consent.
- To "start small" and observe, especially with people I don't know.
- To be responsive to boundaries-setting cues, whether subtle or clear.
- To stay present to each other's shifting, moment-to-moment boundaries.
- To sense carefully info full consent, especially when touching, sharing weight, or lifting.
- To be openly accountable for misunderstanding someone's signals.
- To trust and honor our internal, felt preferences, whether "yes" or "no".
- To not approach dancers who are by themselves with eyes closed, or approach from behind without prior consent.
- That if someone does not respond to an invitation, to take that as a "no" and not persist or pursue.
- That a dance connection does not imply consent to advances off the dance floor - including making Facebook requests of those I don't otherwise know socially. Our dance environment, while warm and connective, is not a pick-up scene.
- To allow the safe expression of our whole selves, including sensual and sexual energies, by not engaging in intentional touch of private sexual areas (as well as not "making out"). Consent in this is not an exception. We keep this shared space safe for ourselves, for connection, and for the vulnerabilities of those who witness us.
- To not stare at others.
- To devote myself to our shared goals of healing, expression, connection and community building.
- To honor the individual ways we express our chosen identities.
- To refrain from substance use that could hinder awareness or caution in any way.
- To care for all dancers' health and sensitivities by avoiding scents.
- To not wear street shoes on the dance floor.
- To cherish our dance immersion by never having social conversations on the floor during dance, or on the perimeter whenever it could disrupt a special collective moment. (But always use your words when needed!)
★ If you experience discomfort, harm, or any consent-related issue, please reach out to a
Dance Ambassador the moment you feel the desire to.
★ Lastly: since a completely risk-free experience is not attainable in an exploratory space,
remember that our individual and collective initiatives in addressing and repairing
boundary mistakes are as loving and vital as are our efforts to prevent them!
♥ Succinctly ♥
♥ Move as you wish, honoring each Yes and No, your own and others, with loving care.
♥ Engage consensually, with presence and mindfulness.
♥ Hold and keep each other's personal space sacred.
♥ Honor our individual identities and how we express them.
♥ Be open and ready to repair mistakes, and for mutual healing.
♥ Reach out for support to a Dance Ambassador.
♥ No intentional touch of private or sexual areas, no "making out".
♥ Reserve dance floor conversation for vital necessities only.
♥ No substance use that could hinder awareness or caution in any way.
♥ Refrain from scents.
♥ No street shoes, thank you!